Sunday, August 16, 2009

500 Days of Summer

I LOVE romantic comedies, even the bad ones. I am a big sucker for a happy ending with a bunch of mushy gushy lovey stuff. So needless to say I was very excited to see 500 Days of Summer, especially since it stared Zooey Deschanel whom I may or may not have a little girl crush on. Well, about 20 seconds into the movie I realized this was not your run of the mill Rom Com, that it might in fact be about the opposite. “This is not a love story” is one of the first things the narrator says … so I was a little apprehensive. I am not good with sad movies, or movies that are not tied up into a neat bow at the end. I was pleasantly surprised by my reaction to this movie. I loved it. Everything about it. It was actually one of my favorite movies of the year so far (behind “I Love You Man”).

The movie was not tied up in a neat package at the end, but it didn’t matter, I still felt fulfilled. The characters were Vibrant and human, and you cared about them immensely. The relationship was very believable, which seems to be an issue in some movies. (I am so sick of 50 year old men being pared with 20 year old actresses. Ew.) Zooey Deschanel played Summer, a girl that does not believe in true love and Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Tom, a boy that has been waiting his whole life to meet “the one”. When they meet the chemistry is immediate, and the movie follows their relationship. The story telling bounces around from when they first met to the end of their relationship, which makes for a unique story and makes it stand out from the standard faire Rom Com.

I highly recommend this movie. The husband liked it a lot too, but didn’t love it as much as I did.

I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment